The Department provides support for graduate students for five years, paying fees and a yearly stipend ($40,101 for 2021-2022). Out-of-state tuition is paid for the first year only; students are expected to become California residents after the first year. During the second year, the Department supports students as Graduate Student Researchers (who carry out specific projects in faculty laboratories) or as Graduate Student Instructors. Faculty thesis research advisors provide financial support (stipend and fees) for the final three years.
International students who hold neither dual citizenship in the United States nor Permanent Resident status cannot become residents of California. Accordingly, the students' research advisors must pay out-of-state tuition for the third through the final year.
Although we guarantee support, students are encouraged to apply for all applicable fellowships to defray fees and stipends. Students automatically compete for UC Berkeley-sponsored fellowships (University Fellowship Competition) when submitting the university application. The National Science Foundation's Graduate Fellowship Program and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Predoctoral Fellowship Program in the Biological Sciences have served as the main sources of extramural support for graduate students in the past.
For an estimated budget of student costs please visit the university Financial Aid office at students.berkeley.edu/finaid.
- UC Berkeley Fellowships and Awards: On-campus awards, departmental nomination required.
- UCLA Fellowship Database: An excellent source for fellowship searches.
- Center for Emerging & Neglected Diseases (CEND) Fellowships: Fellowships provided through CEND support several levels of trainees, including undergraduates, doctoral degree candidates, and postdoctoral fellows, in their pursuit of research related to emerging and neglected infectious diseases.
- UC Berkeley Financial Aid Office
Other excellent extramural fellowship sources:
- Fellows Initiative Natural Sciences (FINS)
- NSF-Graduate Research fellowship program
- EPA-STAR Fellowships
- Ruth Kirschstein NRSA Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- USDA NIFA AFRI Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- NASA Harriett Jenkins Fellowship
- Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grants (DDIG)
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs
- California Science and Technology Policy Fellowships
- National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG)
- DOE Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowhip
- STEM Excellence through Equity and Diversity (SEED) Scholars
- Bridges to Baccalaureate
- Biology Scholars Program
- Firebaugh Scholars
- Miller Scholars Program
- Haas Scholars Program
- SURF L&S
- SURF Rose Hills Independent
- UC LEADS
- Bergeron Women in STEM Program
- NSF LSAMP Pre-PhD Research Program
- URAP Summer Fellows
- Underrepresented Researchers of Color (UROC)