Plant & Microbial Biology (PMB) and the Graduate Group in Microbiology (GGM) offers outstanding doctoral programs. We are committed to the University of California's mission of dedicated research and to providing a superior education in plant biology, microbiology, and related life sciences. Berkeley is a premier institution for groundbreaking research and academic excellence. Being a graduate student here means being a part of an engaged and diverse community that is passionate, curious and committed to science. See more reasons to choose PMB and the GGM below.
Faculty, Student and Program Recognition
• Our highly respected faculty, leaders in their fields, include 11 National Academy of Sciences members, 14 fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, five Miller Research fellows and one of the few plant scientists in the nation named as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator.
Interdisciplinary Research, Superb Facilities
A Collaborative, Diverse, Engaged Community
Commitment to Teaching and Public Service
- We are dedicated to providing professional training: opportunities to practice presentation skills, writing, coaching for NSF fellowship applications (very successful record), teaching.
• Our graduate students make broader impacts on campus and in the community via diverse organizations and programs, such as Bay-Area Scientists in Schools (BASIS), BeAScientist program, Expanding Your Horizons (EYH), Oakland Math & Science Outreach (OSMO), Beyond Academia (BA), the Society for the Advancement of Hispanics/Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, Cal Day and many more.
- Berkeley is a national leader in preparing graduate students for teaching. Professional development opportunities include a teaching conference, online ethics courses, workshops, a discipline-specific pedagogy course, and a teaching certificate program.
- Our graduate students bring talent, enthusiasm and excellence to teaching Berkeley’s undergraduate students in a variety of biology courses.